Sunday, December 20, 2009

How To Automate Your Collections

Having been a landlord since the early portion of 1994, I experience fairly safe in stating I've tried almost every conceivable manner of collecting monthly payments from my residents. I desire to run through some of these methods and allow you in on the professionals and cons of each technique. I'll wrap up it up by telling you what I make now.

Personal Collections

Scheduling appointments to pick up payments was never even a consideration for me as a criterion manner of doing business. I'm too lazy and I see it the resident's duty to pay me if they desire to stay. The advantage is that you cognize right away who's paid and who hasn't. You still don't cognize if the check will unclutter with good funds, assuming you weren't paid in cash or certified funds.

Of course, I've met with occupants to pick up payments on particular occasions when the occupant was late or trying to avoid late fees. Again, this is a waste material of clip in my opinion.

I now have got a designated topographic point for the occupants to drop off payments if they desire to travel this route. Also, for chronic late payers, they lose the privilege of paying any other manner than by certified finances at the driblet box. Once they've paid consistently and timely for six months, I'll see returning dorsum to the criterion wage system I'll discourse later.

If you make make up one's mind to ran into your occupants to collect, I highly urge NOT meeting at your personal residence. Bash not allow any of your occupants to cognize where you live. In fact, my sentiment is that you should have got an unlisted telephone number for your home line and that you should pass as much clip as necessary removing personal information from the assorted internet directories. Bad for the tangent here, but I thought it of import adequate to include.

I don't urge this method as it necessitates too much attempt on your part.

The Check's in the Mail

This is probably the manner everyone starts out. The payment doesn't get and the occupant claims it's in the mail. If it arrives, is it even good? Who knows? The advantages to this method are that it's very common, and if you have got a great tenant, it can be a low fuss manner to accumulate payments.

The disadvantages include trust on the resident's memory to compose the check, correctly turn to the envelope, topographic point the right postage on it , and actually drop the payment in the mail. Additionally, you then trust on the postal service to present the payment to the right computer address and in a timely manner.

I've level gone as far as providing payment vouchers and self-addressed stamped envelopes to occupants to take some of the hazard associated with this methodology. Iodine didn't happen this added attempt to bring forth any noticeable difference in the results.

I don't urge this method as it necessitates too much Engagement from your resident.

Resident Makes the Deposit

I recognize many of you will completely resist at this idea, but I've tried it for old age now with some success. Prior to having a driblet box location, I would give my late remunerators a bank account number to which they could lodge the monthly payment directly.

Naturally, I graduated from that measure to providing sedimentation steals that were pre-printed truthful the account name and the account number wouldn't be inaccurate. In this case, this added attempt did reduce the monthly "I don't have got such as as and such information" telephone phone calls from the residents. I was never that concerned about A occupant attempting to do a backdown from my account, although I'm sure that's a possibility. To diminish this risk, you could have got a separate bank account for sedimentations and expanse the finances into another account periodically.

Another consideration here is that potentially you could run into a failing constructive eviction for accepting partial payments. Whether or not a judge would see a tenant making a small sedimentation in a last ditch attempt to avoid constructive eviction "constructive receipt", I'm not able to answer. So far, (knock on wood), none of the folks I've evicted have got tried this angle.

However, what will invariably go on is that occupants WILL do partial payments. The motortruck broke down, the kid detention legal fees, etc. get prioritized over shelter and what few remaining finances there are end up in your account. Then you're left with the merriment occupation of trying to determine who paid what.

Advantages to this method are that you don't have got got to do a trip to the bank and if you have online banking, you cognize within a twenty-four hours or so if the sedimentations are there. Again, you don't cognize whether or not they paid in pennies or purloined checks from their neighbor, but you at least see the sedimentation made.

I don't urge this method as a criterion manner of collecting, but perhaps see it for the good remunerator who's just had a bad month.

Print the Checks for Them

(Thanks to Earl B. for the following tip)

I forget when it was, but probably sometime around 18 calendar months ago, one of my friendly rivals suggested I seek this service. One of his friends was using it with success so I signed up for it. It's inexpensive and allowed me to just sit down down and black and white all the monthly payments at one time. I signed all new occupants up on it and bribed some of my existent occupants to join.

The service is presented to the occupants as an auto bill of exchange service and they subscribe off on a one-page form that authorises you to debit entry their account. The programme itself is a Windows-based software application that allows you to publish these "Demand Drafts".

The advantage is that the payments can be put up as a recurring monthly payment and you can publish them whenever you want. So, rather than waiting for the mail to arrive, you just sit down down at your personal computer and hit print. The checks axial rotation off your standardised printer. In other words, you don't need any particular equipment. On the first of each calendar month (or whenever) you just head on over to the bank.

Again, you don't cognize if the occupant have good finances or not, but at least you're not waiting to do your deposit. One of the disadvantages is that you will have got to purchase check stock, but I believe I received 300 checks with my initial purchase.

Another advantage to using this software is that you could put up your ain measures on this so that each calendar month you just publish out your recurring measures or a set of clean checks with your pre-printed information.

You can happen out more than about this software by clicking on the URL below. Please disregard the bum web land site and analyze the characteristics and benefits for yourself.

http://www.TexasRealEstateClub.com/checkman.html

I no longer utilize this method, but can urge it as It worked well for me.

Direct Deposit

For the last twelvemonth I've been using a new service Iodine found. I searched high and low for a reliable, quality direct sedimentation service that wasn't designed for the huge flat complexes. Everything Iodine stumbled upon had a fee construction that priced it manner out of my league.

Again, as before with the CheckMan application, I signed all my new occupants up on it (company policy, don't you know?) and bribed some of my existent occupants to fall in as well. I believe it's fantastic.

Residents have got an electronic mail notifying them of the approaching bill of exchange and it all tallies through the banks Automated Clearing House systems (ACH), so there's absolutely nil that I have to do.

The resident's account gets debited automatically on the designated twenty-four hours and I have an electronic mail the adjacent twenty-four hours that shows me which accounts were drafted successfully, and which failed, if any. Three years after that, the finances are automatically deposited into my account.

The occupants cognize it's coming and since it's automatic like other bank drafts, it necessitates no attempt on their part. It also necessitates no attempt on my part. It's the simplest solution that I've establish and very low-cost to boot. Rather than spell into all the characteristics and benefits here, I'll just give you a nexus so you can read about it at your ain convenience.

http://www.clearnow.com/public/ClearNowEnrollmentGRQ1.pdf

I also got them to hold to offer a trial period. If you subscribe up through the nexus above, they will give you two full calendar months to seek the service at absolutely no cost. I cognize that if you give them a try, you'll be hooked.

Sincerely,

Tim Randle
http://TexasRealEstateClub.com

(c) Copyright 2002, All Rights Reserved.

No comments: